I am in my second year as the Secretary to the Willow Glen Lions Club in San Jose, California. A Lions Club Secretary is the administrative officer – making monthly membership and program reports to Lions Clubs International, managing the club roster, keeping minutes of meetings, serving on the Board, etc.
Our club was chartered just over a year ago and we have made good progress. Willow Glen Lions is now in our second year of community service projects which include:
- Backpacks for Kids (for Grammar School – working with the Almaden Super Lions Club)
- Blanket Drive (working with the Almaden Super Lions Club)
- High School Speakers’ Contest
- Hot San Jose Nights – Pancake Breakfast and other activities (our club’s signature charity fundraising project). In 2010, we used our charity funds to sponsor scholarships for kids going to the Diabetes Society camps.
- Peace Poster Contest (for Middle School artists)
- Trick or Treat Trail monitors and crossing guards (29 October, Lincoln Avenue in Willow Glen, working with the Willow Glen Business Association)
- Used Eyeglasses Recycling (for distribution to the needy in Mexico and elsewhere)
Last night, the Club Board voted funding to begin a new Leos Club for teens in Willow Glen. My husband John and I just created the club’s first business card – preparing for our club’s second Fall Mixer (at Chase Bank on Lincoln Avenue at Minnesota in Willow Glen, 6:30-8 pm on 10 November), and other upcoming activities. It arrived today!
Images by Katy Dickinson, Copyright 2009-2010