During October, Everwise was pleased and honored to host two TechWomen Emerging Leaders: Mai Temraz (of Palestine) and Seham Al Jaafreh (of Jordan) in San Francisco. One of the projects we three worked on all month was making a series of videos about mentoring – featuring Seham and Mai speaking in Arabic. I have been processing the videos, adding music and animation. Six of the seven recordings are already posted on YouTube:
- Everwise: Mentoring in Arab Culture (In Arabic), Featuring Seham Al Jaafreh
- Everwise: Mentoring Feedback (In Arabic), Featuring Mai Temraz
- Everwise: Mentoring Recommendations and Resources (In Arabic), Featuring Mai Temraz
- Everwise: Questions for Your Mentor? (In Arabic), Featuring Mai Temraz
- Everwise: Mentoring Introductions (In Arabic), Featuring Mai Termaz
- Everwise: Why Be a Mentor? (In Arabic), Featuring Seham Al Jaafreh
15 November update: Why Mentoring? (In Arabic), Featuring Seham Al Jaafreh, has now been posted – that is the whole initial video set!
These videos present mentoring in simple words, communicating to potential mentors and proteges. If you are interested in mentoring but do not understand exactly how it can work for your circumstances, this series is for you. Mentoring is new to many cultures, and not all languages even have a word for the practice.
In addition to these videos, Mai and I were audio-recorded by StoryCorps at the San Francisco Main Public Library. Also, a picture including Seham and me was featured on the TechWomen banner on display at the US State Department in Washington DC. It was a well-recorded month!
Images Copyright 2014 by Katy Dickinson.