I very much enjoyed attending my first TEDxBayArea, hosted at Amazon Lab126 in Sunnyvale, California. I was invited by TechWomen mentor Francine Gordon and was happy to meet many sister TechWomen mentors there, including Eileen Brewer who got to speak to the audience for a minute at the end.
Having had some days to reflect on this exciting educational and networking event, here are the presentations that made the most impression:
- Jackie Tabick (Rabbi in UK): “The balancing act of compassion” (2009 recorded TED talk)
- Barbara Bogatin (Cellist at Marin Chamber Soloists): “The Art of Failure”
- Leslie Blodgett (Creator, bareMinerals Cosmetics) and Colaine L.A. Roepke (self at self): “Let it go: An experiment in forgiveness”
- Dr. Clifford Saron (Assoc. Research Scientist, UC Davis): “Compassionate Empathy: What children with autism have to teach us about our world by entering theirs”
- Liza Donnelly (Cartoonist and Columnist at Forbes): “Harmony Through Humor”
If you get a chance to attend a TEDx, do it!
16 January 2015 update: Read the web writeup on the event – including several tweets by me!
Images Copyright 2014 by Katy Dickinson