My husband, John Plocher, just created a set of colorful inspirational PC cards for Technical Women, particularly TechWomen mentors and mentees. TechWomen is an Initiative of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, a program which I helped to design in 2010-2011 and for which I have been a proud volunteer mentor since. John designs PC cards as a part of his model train hobby – so he regularly prints new designs for fabrication in Shenzhen, China. These cards are 4″ x 2″ in size and have two holes in them so they can be hung as decorations. One side says Technical Woman / STEM Science Technology Engineering Math. The other side says LEADER, with one of six quotes:
- “If your dreams don’t scare you, they’re not big enough.” – Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
- “If it is a good idea, go ahead and do it. It’s much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.” – Grace Hopper
- “I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy.” – Marie Curie
- “Every girl deserves to take part in creating the technology that will change our world and change who runs it.” – Malala Yousafzai
- “Yes, I’m a feminist, because I see all women as smart, gifted, and tough.” – Zaha Hadid
- “A mentor is someone who allows you to see the hope inside yourself.” – Oprah Winfrey
John and I are talking about adding more colors and quotes. Suggestions?
Here is how John made the cards – if you want to make some of your own.
If you want to receive Katysblog posts by email, please sign up using the Sign Me Up! button (upper right).
Photos Copyright 2018 by Katy Dickinson.